Long time before VANKORLAAR-HOLLAND was established, Adriaan van Korlaar worked abroad for well known companies in shipping, shipbuilding and yacht building.
From 1975 – 1981:
On a free-lance basis projects were carried out for various companies of which the most important ones are:
- Shipping Company of Wijsmuller Bros. at Baarn, the Netherlands
- Delivery of new built ships (hopper dredgers, ferries, tugs, split barges and tankers) from the building yard to owners in the Far-East, Africa, the Middle-East and South America.
- IHC-Smit at Kinderdijk, The Netherlands
- Delivery, training and coverage of the guarantee period abroad of newly built hopper dredgers and cutter dredgers.
- Schipyard “De Hoop” in Schiedam/Hardinxveld
- Bilateral development aid (the Netherlands - Guinea-Bissau/Africa) project of 4 ships. Responsible during the construction, transport, delivery, training and guarantee period. After the guarantee period a survey/maintenance project at regular intervals during a period of 3 years on site.
From 1981 – 1988:
IHC-Smit in Kinderdijk
IHC is world market leader as builder of marine dredging equipment.
Employed as service engineer for the yard’s Service & Guarantee Department for projects and deliveries all over the world. Joined the Sales Department after some years for the sales of dredging installations and components for larger conversions and repairs abroad.
From 1989 – 1996:
Feadship Holland is the marketing & sales organisation of Shipyard De Vries in Aalsmeer and Royal Van Lent at Kaag with Naval Architect De Voogt in Haarlem, the Netherlands.
Feadship is global market leader for the construction of large seagoing motor yachts.
From 1989 until 1994 emplyed as manager of the Feadship-France office in Antibes / Côte d’Azur / France. From 1993 until 1996 manager Feadship France/Feadship Holland.
From 1997 – 2000:
Project Clipper “Stad Amsterdam”
A private/public partnership between the City of Amsterdam and the Randstad Group resulted in the building of the 78 m. Clipper “Stad Amsterdam”. The square rigged sailing vessel is designed for a number of functions:
- representation of the City of Amsterdam
- serving as a promotion and conference platform of the Randstad Group
- sail training for young people
- luxury cruises
As manager I was responsible for the project on behalf of the owners during the whole process from design to commissioning, which also included the set up of a floating temporary yard for the rigging and outfitting of the Clipper at the Maritime Museum, right in the centre of Amsterdam. The completion of the ship was part of a general schooling & training programme. During construction the ship was open for visitors of the Maritime Museum. Additional financing was realised by sponsors.
After preparations for the exploitation of the Clipper, the project was finished by the end of 2000.
From 2000 – 2003:
Escort and harbour tug project
De “Rotortug” is a new type of tugboat with three Azimuth propulsion units, developed by Kotug. Kotug is a Kooren tugboat company operating in those days in the ports of Rotterdam, Bremerhaven and Hamburg, Germany. Nowadays also in the port of Le Havre, France.
For Kooren Shipbuilding and Trading, a sister company of Kotug International in Rotterdam I was responsible for the development of special versions for escorting and harbour towage in close cooperation with naval architects and MARIN, the Maritime Research Institute in the Netherlands.
Among other activities one major event were test trials at the North Sea, together with the Norwegian tanker company NAVION and research institutes MARIN and MSR, Maritime Simulation Rotterdam for a special application, the escort towage of large sea ships at high speeds.
From 2004 – present:
Consultant and interim management services to the yachting and shipbuilding industry.
Set up of a new building program for the Dutch charter industry with traditional motor and sailing vessels. New building of traditional Dutch inland vessels.
Interim management projects:
- Ad interim manager of the engineering department of Jachtwerf Jongert B.V., Medemblik
- Project manager at Moonen Shipyards, Den Bosch.
- General manager of RMK-Marine Yachts, Istanbul Turkey from November 2005 until November 2006 for 2 new building yachts and a number of refits.
- Refits of a motor yacht and sailing yacht at Jachtwerf Jongert B.V..
Servogear A/S, Norwegian manufacturer of high efficient CPP propulsion systems for fast vessels.
Back up services for a 30 m. sailing yacht on a 3 years trip around the world.
Fast commuter/race boat with E-propulsion.
Countries worked or travelled to on a professional base outside Europe:
Peoples Republic of China, United States of America, Soviet Union, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, (Turkey), Iran, Iraqi, United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Zaire, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Trinidad en Tobago, Curacao, Antigua, Venezuela, Bolivia, Mexico and Peru.
Please contact me if you have any questions.